Thursday, August 18, 2011

diary of a wimpy kid

salam.

The above is a page taken from diary of a wimpy kid, a book which I recently came across. It was the day where I took my children to the bookstore, and as usual I told them to browse through and to get a book each of their likings while I indulged myself doing the same thing. Going to bookstores such as popular, mph or better still borders, is one of the outings which the children look forward to so much. As for me, I just love it when they bury themselves reading: any stuff will do as long as they are reading; coz to me reading is the essence of knowledge.

So, on that day when everyone had found a book each, Arief, my second youngest came to me with the above book. At first glance I thought it was just another ordinary cartoon @ comic book, and I was taken aback when I looked at the price: rm29.90. I wondered to myself, "Hmm, rather expensive but if this is what interests him, might as well get him one". I found out that there was a number of diary of a wimpy kid books, so I told Arief to choose one. Then I paid for it and we were on our way home.

A few weeks later, I saw the book lying on the coffee table at the living, and out of boredom as well as curiosity, I picked the book and read the back page. wow! Not bad, I told myself. And would you believe it, I was engrossed reading it till late afternoon. Simply put, I was hook to it.

I am going to share a funny quote that really got me laughing:


· Greg: First of all, let me get something straight. This is a journal not a diary. Yeah, yeah, I know what it says on the cover, but it's wrong. When my mom went out to buy this thing, I specifically told her not to get anything that says "DIARY" on it. And yet, here we are.

My comment of the book: it's funny, its language is easy to follow, and the best thing is, it relates to the children's life, whether at school or at home. What matter most is that my children love it.

Then one day last week, I got an idea to introduce the book to my students, in order for them to be interested in English. And presto! So far, 65 students had already bought the book, albeit a photostat copy. I told them if they are interested in obtaining the other copies of the wimpy kid collection, go and buy at the bookstore.

So, for now I hope it's going to kick start an interest in reading, specifically stuff in English. Hopefully the students will have a better command of the language in the near future. insyaAllah.

No comments:

 

Bali Accommodation